In September 24th 2017, The United States Government said it does not consider the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) as a terrorist organisation.
Recall that the Federal High Court in Abuja, gave a judicial backing the executive order of President Muhammadu Buhari, outlawing the group and its activities in the country. The court granted the order to proscribe the group on Wednesday.
In a correspondence with Sunday Punch, the spokesman for the American Embassy in Nigeria, Russell Brooks, stated that the US was committed to Nigeria’s unity and would support a peaceful resolution of any crisis in the country.
“The United States Government is strongly committed to Nigeria’s unity. Important political and economic issues affecting the Nigerian people, such as the allocation of resources, are worthwhile topics for respectful debate in a democracy.
“Within the context of unity, we encourage all Nigerians to support a de-escalation of tensions and peaceful resolution of grievances.
“The Indigenous People of Biafra is not a terrorist organisation under US law,” he said.
The US embassy, however, declined to comment on whether the Federal Government had asked it to treat IPOB as a terrorist organisation and to block money sent to IPOB from the US.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Boko Haram attacks Adamawa state, Many feared Dead
- Indian man makes Donald Trump status, worships it as his God (video)
- Meet the Nigerian Governor who has been Governing his state from Abuja since 2019
- Abba Kyari vs Monguno: Buratai withdraws Soldiers working with National security Adviser
- Boko Haram Bill is satanic and unconstitutional, An Invitation to another Civil War – Human Rights
- Oluwo gets 6 months suspension for threatening to destroy fellow Traditional Ruler
- Boko Haram Bill is a Plot to grant amnesty to Boko Haram – Ohanaeze
- God is Punishing the North with Insurgency for killing 2 million Igbos During Biafra war – Ohanaeze Replies Sultan of sokoto
- Court Orders DSS to Probe Bayelsa Deputy Governor
- Senator Ndume Rejects Boko Haram Bill, says’ It will Encourage people to Join Boko Haram