The Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Bishop Matthew Kukah, while speaking at the convocation lecture of Achievers University, Owo in Ondo State, has cautioned the Federal Government against planned regulation of social media, saying it could hinder freedom of speech.
He also noted that most people currently in the corridors of power don’t know the sacrifice that Nigerians made for democracy.
The lecture was titled: “Some reasons why Nigeria has failed to achieve greatness”.
The bishop, who said freedom to speak must be done responsibly, asked government to be careful on the planned regulation of the social media.
‘The social media is an avenue for Nigerians to bare their minds and feelings about happenings in the country.”
“most of the people in the corridor of power today are not aware of the sacrifice made for the country’s democracy.
“I am ready to defend freedom of speech in Nigeria with the last drop of my blood”
“I’m worried that many in power don’t know the sacrifice we made, the freedom we fought for,”
‘A nation thrives on free flow of ideas and information among its citizenry.’
“Ethnicity and religion had become liabilities in Nigerian context.
“We are over 90 per cent Christians and Muslims in Nigeria, but there is nowhere in the world where religion has become an incubus, a burden and source of dreadful violence as it has in Nigeria.
“Our leaders are kneeling before pastors and imams seeking blessings, while the rest of the world is moving on, drawing inspiration from sweat, brains and brawn even without evoking God.
“We evoke God to witness to our corruption and outright larceny,” he said.
“The main challenge is not of the boundaries of geography but the spread of ideas and knowledge and, of course, memory is a source of knowledge.
“We are angry, but we are not the first group to be angry,” he said.
He urged Nigerian leaders to invoke common emotions that could hold the citizens together as one.
Recall that the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr. Lai Mohammed has recently announced government’s plans to regulate the social media to combat falsehood.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Buhari is the problem of Nigeria not the Solution, He should also create ministry of Boko Haram – Reno Omokri
- Senate does not create Agency for Widows and Orphans of killed soldiers, But only for Boko Haram – Reno Omokri
- African Pastor caught Having $€x with his church member in a Hotel Room (video)
- European union threatens to Ban Nigerians from Travelling to European Countries
- Nigeria Senate introduces bill to create agency for repentant Boko Haram members
- Buhari is dead and buried in a shallow grave in Saudi Arabia – Nnamdi kanu
- My Husband urinates on the bed and keep blaming our Son – Nigerian woman
- Mother of 12 gives birth to 3 Babies at her home – Kaduna
- Buhari is in charge of his Government – BMO
- How ‘Yahoo Boys’ killed the Aso Rock Director with the help of Police