The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked the leadership of the Senate to further give credibility to the ministerial screening by sending the names of the nominees to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for investigation.
The party in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbondiyan today July 29th, said the screening exercise would confirm that many of the ministerial nominees who were former governors and ministers, wrecked their states and ministries.
According to the party, the nomination of ”persons with corruption badges” to serve in the federal cabinet has overtly established the fact that President Buhari not only ”condones but also explicitly promotes corruption, which has escalated into a state art since he assumed office in 2015.”
This is particularly as President Buhari had asserted that he would only nominate persons he knows “personally”.
It therefore speaks volumes that the persons Mr. President “personally” knows and has nominated as ministers include such individuals that have been publicly indicted and known to be answering questions as accomplices in on-going corruption cases in various courts”the statement read
The PDP alleged that a former Minister who is currently being investigated for a N2.5 billion fraud case, is amongst the ministerial nominees. The party called on the Senate to note that some of the nominees have failed to defend their corruption allegations.
This includes a particular former minister from the North Central, who had admitted to the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) of complicity in the N2.5 billion National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) fraud case, still pending in court.
This is in addition to certain nominees who, as state governors, swindled their states, fleeced workers and committed several financial crimes for which they should rather be standing trial, instead of being rewarded with official protection as ministers” the party in the statement said
The PDP added that the inclusion of names of persons with cases of financial fraud, proves the insincerity of the Buhari-led government to fight corruption.
Our party notes that the gathering of corrupt persons as cabinet ministers is a clear pointer to a scheme by the cabal in the Presidency to further entrench corruption in our nation.
Urging the Senate to take a cursory look into the allegations of bribe-for-ministerial-slot, making the rounds in the public space, the PDP said the Senate must rise to the occasion and ensure that Nigerians are not totally let down.
The PDP also invites the Senate to note that President Buhari has not demonstrated any commitment to the fight against corruption and for that reason, Nigerians now look up to the National Assembly to protect the nation from the excesses of the Buhari Presidency.
The repositioned PDP has demonstrated this determination in our nominations for leadership positions in our party at all levels.
The Senate is therefore urged to stand with the people in resisting the manipulations of the Buhari Presidency to ensure that only persons with clean records are cleared as ministers.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Boko Haram attacks Adamawa state, Many feared Dead
- Indian man makes Donald Trump status, worships it as his God (video)
- Meet the Nigerian Governor who has been Governing his state from Abuja since 2019
- Abba Kyari vs Monguno: Buratai withdraws Soldiers working with National security Adviser
- Boko Haram Bill is satanic and unconstitutional, An Invitation to another Civil War – Human Rights
- Oluwo gets 6 months suspension for threatening to destroy fellow Traditional Ruler
- Boko Haram Bill is a Plot to grant amnesty to Boko Haram – Ohanaeze
- God is Punishing the North with Insurgency for killing 2 million Igbos During Biafra war – Ohanaeze Replies Sultan of sokoto
- Court Orders DSS to Probe Bayelsa Deputy Governor
- Senator Ndume Rejects Boko Haram Bill, says’ It will Encourage people to Join Boko Haram