Naledi Pandor, South African minister of foreign affairs, says there are many Nigerians in the country involved in drug and human trafficking.
Pandor said this on Thursday while responding to criticisms that South Africa’s security agencies are not doing enough to protect foreigners in the wave of xenophobia rocking the country.
Many Nigerians based in South Africa lost properties worth millions of dollars in the fresh attacks.
But in an interview with eNCA, a South African outfit, Pandor said South Africans believe many Nigerians are “harming our young people.”
Asked if the country’s security agencies have helped in protecting foreigners including Nigerians, she responded: “I would appreciate them in helping us as well to address the belief our people have and the reality that there are many persons from Nigeria dealing in drugs in our country.
“I believe that Nigerian nationals are involved in human trafficking and other abusive practices.
“These kind of assistance of ensuring that such persons do not come to our country will be of great assistance to our nation.”
The xenophobic attacks forced Nigeria to pull out of the ongoing World Economic Forum in South Africa.
In its initial response to the fresh attacks, the federal government summoned Bobby Monroe, South Africa’s high commissioner to Nigeria.
President Muhammadu Buhari also dispatched a special envoy to convey his concerns over the attacks to President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Nigeria demanded full compensation for its citizens affected in the latest attacks, but Pandor had earlier said there is no provision for such.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Meet the Nigerian Governor who has been Governing his state from Abuja since 2019
- Abba Kyari vs Monguno: Buratai withdraws Soldiers working with National security Adviser
- Boko Haram Bill is satanic and unconstitutional, An Invitation to another Civil War – Human Rights
- Oluwo gets 6 months suspension for threatening to destroy fellow Traditional Ruler
- Boko Haram Bill is a Plot to grant amnesty to Boko Haram – Ohanaeze
- God is Punishing the North with Insurgency for killing 2 million Igbos During Biafra war – Ohanaeze Replies Sultan of sokoto
- Court Orders DSS to Probe Bayelsa Deputy Governor
- Senator Ndume Rejects Boko Haram Bill, says’ It will Encourage people to Join Boko Haram
- The world is laughing at Nigeria and weeping for us at the same time – Fani Kayode
- Nigerian Pastor arrested after prophesying the Location of a Missing woman’s Dead Body – Imo state