Four employees of French Christian NGO have been missing in Baghdad, Iraq since Monday, the charity announced on Friday.
Benjamin Blanchard, the director of SOS Chretiens d’Orient (Christians of the Middle East), said that the four men – three French citizens and one Iraqi – were last seen four days ago near the French embassy in the capital.
He said the group had been in Baghdad to “to renew their visas and register the association with Iraqi authorities,” and that they were “experienced staff members who have been working with us for years.”
He added that there had been no ransom or claim of responsibility for their disappearence.
The NGO has been active in Iraq since 2014, primarily in the northern city of Erbil, and focuses on providing support to beleagured Christian communities across the Middle East.
The NGO has been branded “far-right” over its links to Marine Le Pen’s National Rally (formerly National Front) party in France, and has also been criticised for offering support to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who it said has been “demonised”.
Mgr Pascal Gollnisch, the vicar general of France’s Eastern Rite Catholics, said in a strongly-worded interview with La Croix, a French Roman Catholic newspaper in 2017 that: “Christians in the Mid-East should not be seen to be partisan.”
Gollnisch also criticised the NGO for portraying conflicts in the Middle East as one between Christians and Muslims.
Kidnappings of foreigners have become rare in Iraq in recent years. In the past, foreigners were targeted by militant groups such as Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group, as well as Iran-backed militias and criminal organisations.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- African Pastor caught Having $€x with his church member in a Hotel Room (video)
- European union threatens to Ban Nigerians from Travelling to European Countries
- Nigeria Senate introduces bill to create agency for repentant Boko Haram members
- Buhari is dead and buried in a shallow grave in Saudi Arabia – Nnamdi kanu
- My Husband urinates on the bed and keep blaming our Son – Nigerian woman
- Mother of 12 gives birth to 3 Babies at her home – Kaduna
- Buhari is in charge of his Government – BMO
- How ‘Yahoo Boys’ killed the Aso Rock Director with the help of Police
- Nigerian Woman attacks her husband with Knife, cuts off his Nose – Imo state (photos)
- Abba Kyari and National security adviser, Fighting over a police equipment contract (photos)