Nigeria’s military authorities have reportedly launched a manhunt for five soldiers, who escaped with billions of Naira on transit to Abuja.
Premium Times identified the soldiers as Gabriel Oluwaniyi, a corporal; Mohammed Aminu, a corporal; Commander Haruna, a lance corporal; Oluji Joshua, a lance corporal; and Hayatudeen Abubakar, a lance corporal.
According to a report published today the men escorted in a convoy from Sokoto to Jaji, the huge cash, said to be owned by Major General Hakeem Oladapo Otiki. The paper said Otiki was in the convoy. But on getting to Jaji, where an airlift was expected, the men decided to disappear with the cash.
“They also removed all their uniforms and abandoned their rifles in the vehicles at the air strip in Jaji,” the paper said quoting an anonymous military source.
However, the report did not state the reaction of Otiki to the thieving soldiers, since the brazen theft happened in his presence.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- APC was created to fight poverty – Osinbajo
- How Fulani Herdsmen attacked me in my Farm, shot at me – Ortom, Governor of Benue
- Femi Adesina is sick for saying that Insecurity has reduced under Buhari – Fani Kayode
- Exclusive: Catholic Bishop spotted on Okada – Enugu state (photos)
- PHOTOS: 60 year old woman gets married for the first time – Anambra state