In September 24th 2017, The United States Government said it does not consider the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) as a terrorist organisation.
Recall that the Federal High Court in Abuja, gave a judicial backing the executive order of President Muhammadu Buhari, outlawing the group and its activities in the country. The court granted the order to proscribe the group on Wednesday.
In a correspondence with Sunday Punch, the spokesman for the American Embassy in Nigeria, Russell Brooks, stated that the US was committed to Nigeria’s unity and would support a peaceful resolution of any crisis in the country.
“The United States Government is strongly committed to Nigeria’s unity. Important political and economic issues affecting the Nigerian people, such as the allocation of resources, are worthwhile topics for respectful debate in a democracy.
“Within the context of unity, we encourage all Nigerians to support a de-escalation of tensions and peaceful resolution of grievances.
“The Indigenous People of Biafra is not a terrorist organisation under US law,” he said.
The US embassy, however, declined to comment on whether the Federal Government had asked it to treat IPOB as a terrorist organisation and to block money sent to IPOB from the US.
- Buhari should Arrest all the Yoruba Leaders Behind “Operation Amotekun” – Miyetti Allah
- PHOTOS: Buhari arrives London
- 2020 prophecy: still talking about Biafra, I see a New Nation coming out of a Nation
- Iranian Leaders should Abandon Terrorism and Make Iran Great Again – Trump
- Trump warns Iranian Leader to be careful of his words, says’ Your Economy is crashing