Gani Adams, The Onakakanfo of Yorubaland has said that the present government under President Muhammadu Buhari is like the military junta of the late Sani Abacha.
READ HIS WORDS BELOW:
“What happened at the court reminded me of the dark era of the military but, ironically, the present government under President Muhammadu Buhari is like the military junta of the late Sani Abacha in which the military brigandage held sway for years”.
“I have been watching events as they unfold, but I am saddened that the event that transpired in the court was a testimony that Nigeria has a long way to go.
“The Department of State Services (DSS) failed to respect the rule of law and it was a sad reminder of the military era,” Adams said in a statement.
He said the prolonged detention of Sowore had affected the image of Nigeria, because the world was watching the government with keen interest.
“This is not the democracy we fought for between 1993 and 1998. I remember vividly as activists and pro-democracy groups, we put our lives on the line to ensure that our dreams for this democracy became a reality. Now, democracy is here, but we have lost touch with the ideals of a democratic setting as it is practised in other climes,”he said.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Big Sea turtle caught in Bayelsa state River (photos)
- Imo: Buhari sends message to PDP over protests
- APC blasts PDP for protesting against Supreme Court, says’ it is a threat to Nigeria Democracy
- Bayelsa is not part of Biafra, IPOB members caught holding meeting will be beaten – Ijaw Youths
- PDP Protest: Ihedioha, Abaribe, Secondus, Obi protests against supreme court – Abuja (video)