Sri Lanka customs authorities have arrested and fined a Chinese man accused of trying to take 200 venomous scorpions out of the country in his checked-in luggage.
The man was suspected of trying to get the scorpions back to China to extract the venom, officials said.
The live arachnids were discovered by security officials on Monday (Jan 13) at Colombo international airport in plastic containers packed in the man’s luggage that was to be checked in.
“We detained the passenger and launched an investigation,” customs spokesman Sunil Jayaratne said.
“We have not placed a value on the 200 scorpions, but trafficking in live wildlife has become a lucrative trade.”
The suspect was fined 100,000 rupees (S$743.43) and the scorpions confiscated before the man was allowed to return home, Mr Jayaratne said.
Sri Lanka has about 18 species of venomous scorpions, but only one is fatal to humans.
It was not known if the confiscated arachnids were deadly.
The island nation has strict laws on wildlife and fauna, but smuggling attempts are increasingly frequent.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Allowing Miyetti Allah to join Amotekun is like Recruiting Demons into an Army of Angels – Fani Kayode
- Bandits kills Man, Rapes his Daughter, abducts his wife in Delta state
- Trump please come and save us, Nigeria’s situation has gone beyond prayers – Nigerian Pastor
- 25 Repentant Boko Haram Members From Niger Republic, Arrives Nigeria (photos)
- Bleaching your skin has nothing to do with the Kingdom of God – Etinosa
- Ohanaeze blasts Buratai for planning to Recruit Youths to fight Boko Haram, says’ count Igbos out
- Drinking milk increases the risk of breast cancer in women – Study
- Anyone who thinks Buhari is in charge of his Government is fooling Himself – Pa Adebanjo
- Fulani herdsmen storms Benue state with Guns and over 4,000 Cows
- Nigerian Boy beats up his Girl friend, bites her breast