Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has called on Muslims and Christians to unite Together for a better Nigeria.
Osinbajo said religious leaders should work towards harmonizing the Christian and Muslim communities in Nigeria.
He spoke while receiving a delegation from the World Methodist Council led by its President, Rev. Dr. Jong Chun Park, and the Prelate of the Methodist Church of Nigeria, His Eminence, Most Rev. Samuel Uche at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Osinbajo stated that the Methodist Church had over the years played an important role in maintaining harmony in the country.
A statement signed and sent to DAILY POST by his Media Aide, Akande Laolu quoted Osinbajo as saying: “in most societies that have been seamless, you will realize that a lot of it has to do with what men and women of God did.
“I think that the role of the church in bringing that harmony is crucial. The political leadership is one, but the solutions to the world’s deepest problem lies in Gospel and I believe that we as the body of Christ hold the key to several of the problems.
“So, the question is how we deploy the resources that God gave to us to unite people. Obviously, it requires tremendous sacrifice and it is really about the sacrifices that we are prepared to make.”
The Vice President stressed the need for collaboration between government and other stakeholders in promoting harmonious coexistence in Nigeria.
He said “I believe that religious harmony is possible and it is our duty to promote same.
“We should try and bring our communities together. We have a large Muslim and large Christian populations, and we can’t do anything without collaboration. Religious leaders can’t wish that away.
“Our Constitution guarantees religious freedom not just in words but in practice in Nigeria, again it is a duty that we accept this reality.
“Despite all the various challenges that we face as a country, we are all resolved that this country is one that is fair for all, that there is justice, equity and that we give everyone a chance to realize the objectives that they set for themselves.” He said.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- My Husband urinates on the bed and keep blaming our Son – Nigerian woman
- Mother of 12 gives birth to 3 Babies at her home – Kaduna
- Buhari is in charge of his Government – BMO
- How ‘Yahoo Boys’ killed the Aso Rock Director with the help of Police
- Nigerian Woman attacks her husband with Knife, cuts off his Nose – Imo state (photos)
- Abba Kyari and National security adviser, Fighting over a police equipment contract (photos)
- Inside Buhari’s Government, Ministers and Aides fighting against Each Other – Jackson Ude
- Don’t Date a Girl who cannot Pay her Transport fare to come to see you – Nigerian Lady Advises Men
- Women cheat more than Men – White Lady (video)
- Nigerian Man makes his own Vehicle, test-runs it in Lagos (photos)