The national assembly petitions tribunal sitting in Abia state has sacked Orji Uzor Kalu as senator representing Abia north.
Kalu, who is currently the senate chief whip, had been elected under the All Progressives Congress (APC).
But the tribunal nullified his election at its sitting on Monday.
Mao Ohuabunwa, Kalu’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rival in the election, had challenged his victory at the tribunal and he was declared winner of the election on Monday.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Kalu winner of the senatorial election after securing 30,203 votes against Ohuabunwa’s 20,801 votes.
Although the tribunal upheld Ohuabunwa’s argument that Kalu was not duly elected, it ordered that a rerun be conducted in selected polling units within 90 days.
The polling units which cut across three local government areas, were identified as where votes were cancelled during the poll.
The tribunal had earlier dismissed a petition by Anagha Anagha, candidate of the All Grassroots Alliance (AGA), challenging Kalu’s victory.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Nigerian man arrested in Cambodia for disturbing his neighbors, Faces deportation (photos)
- PHOTOS: Fire guts Timber market, destroys goods and properties – Mushin, Lagos
- Before you MARRY, make sure you MONEY – Reno Omokri
- Men should Mastubet at least 21 times every month to avoid prostate cancer – World Health
- 4 workers of French Christian NGO missing in Iraq