Chido Onumah, a Nigerian journalist and rights activist arrested and detained by the Department of State Services on Sunday evening, After his release, says he was arrested for wearing a T-shirt with the inscription: ‘We Are All Biafrans’.
Onumah, who was arrested by DSS operatives at the Nnamdi Azikwe Airport in Abuja, was detained for hours.
We learnt that Chido Onumah was released few hours after his Arrest.
He was arrested upon arriving in the country from a trip abroad, at 5 pm on Sunday and released about five hours later.
Speaking late on Sunday after his release, Onumah said he was told that his arrest was because he wore a shirt with the inscription: ‘We Are All Biafrans’.
The DSS denied Onumah from seeing his lawyer or any member of his family.
“I was arrested for wearing the T-shirt because the SSS said it is capable of causing disaffection in the country.
“They said some people had issues and had contacted them (SSS) whether I was a part of a group that was planning against the country,” he said.
‘We Are All Biafrans’, is the title of Onumah’s latest book, published in December 2018, where he wrote about Nigeria, focusing on the need to restructure Nigeria in order to be able to build a united country.
The author has no known links with any of the Biafran groups and has opposed the breakup of Nigeria, calling instead for a restructured country where power is devolved to its constituent parts.
The DSS has yet to make an official statement on the arrest of the journalist and there are no indications it plans to file charges gainst him.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- European Union blasts Buhari, says’ you are not doing anything to End the Killing of Christians in Nigeria
- Pipeline Explodes In Lagos, Burns properties (video)
- Igbos vs Yorubas: “Operation Amotekun” A Game Changer For 2023 – Reno Omokri
- Accident: Trailer falls after clashing with keke, 3 Dead – Anambra state (photos)
- American Couple dies the same day, after being together for 65 years (photos)