Facebook has apologised for the mistranslation of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s name from Burmese to English language.
The social media platform’s autocorrect translated the name of the president to ‘Shithole’ in a post made during his visit to Myanmar.
The error most notably appeared on the official Facebook page of Myanmar’s civilian leader, Aung San Suu Kyi.
“Mr Shithole, President of China arrives at 4pm,” said a translated announcement posted earlier on Saturday.
“President of China, Mr Shithole, signed a guest record of the house of representatives,” it continued.
Facebook said it was sorry and blamed a technical glitch.
“We fixed a technical issue that caused incorrect translations from Burmese to English on Facebook.
“This should not have happened and we are taking steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again. We sincerely apologise for the offense this has caused,” a Facebook spokesperson said.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Senate does not create Agency for Widows and Orphans of killed soldiers, But only for Boko Haram – Reno Omokri Copy
- Senate does not create Agency for Widows and Orphans of killed soldiers, But only for Boko Haram – Reno Omokri
- African Pastor caught Having $€x with his church member in a Hotel Room (video)
- European union threatens to Ban Nigerians from Travelling to European Countries
- Nigeria Senate introduces bill to create agency for repentant Boko Haram members
- Buhari is dead and buried in a shallow grave in Saudi Arabia – Nnamdi kanu
- My Husband urinates on the bed and keep blaming our Son – Nigerian woman
- Mother of 12 gives birth to 3 Babies at her home – Kaduna
- Buhari is in charge of his Government – BMO
- How ‘Yahoo Boys’ killed the Aso Rock Director with the help of Police