The federal government has put forward proposals that may likely end the incessant attacks on Nigerians and their businesses in South Africa.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama, disclosed this on Tuesday during a joint briefing with the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe.
The meeting, which held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja was at the instance of the Minister.
Briefing journalists shortly after a closed door meeting, Onyeama said Nigeria has put forward very serious proposals, which if implemented would end the incessant attacks on Nigeria.
The proposal, according to him, include a security collaboration between the two countries, which will see Nigerian security agencies in the embassy working closely with their South African counterparts to help address issues that concerns Nigerians.
Nigeria also proposed the payment of compensation by the South African government to Nigerians who are victims of attacks.
He said: “We feel that very definitive measures have to be taken to stop once and for all this act of aggression and criminality against Nigerians in South Africa.
“For us, Nigerian government, we are determined that we should not have any reoccurrence of this going forward. So we have to put in place, we must put in place and we would put in place mechanism to ensure that this do not occur.
“We made very concrete proposals to South African government today, and we believe if those measures are implemented, we will have a very good chance of ensuring that this does not occur.
“In the first place we must address the issue of compensation. There has to be accountability and there has to be responsibility for compensating all those Nigerians that have suffered lose and we are going to absolutely push forward.
“Secondly, we believe that the two security forces, South Africa and Nigeria, we can have an arrangement where there will be cooperation on the ground in South Africa to arrest such events and occurrences and this is obvious something we have to work out details with the South African government and hopefully, see us addressing at the field level the challenges caused by this incessant attacks so we have put that forward to the South Africa government.
“Very clear proposals and we will be discussing that and hopefully the South African government will support us in that initiative as we believe it will make all the difference.”
Moroe noted that his country cherished the long- term relationship it shared with Nigeria.
He also revealed that 90 arrest have been made so far across the cities.
He stressed that the recent attacks was not xenophobic attacks but acts of criminality.
He condemned the attacks on Nigerian businesses, stating that his country was doing all possible to address the ugly situation.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- 4 workers of French Christian NGO missing in Iraq
- Trump Becomes first U.S president to attend Anti-Abortion Rally in America
- “I will kill Trump tomorrow, you will see it” – man bags 5 years in Jail for threatening to kill Trump
- Nigerian man slaps someone to death in Anambra state (Photos)
- Britain is leaving European Union on Jan. 31st, I have signed the Agreement – Boris Johnson