General Ibrahim Babaginda (Rtd), while speaking about the civil war, said that Nigeria can never break up in his Generation.
General Babangida who spoke on Channels Television Newsnight programme indicated that his generation will use everything possible to make sure that the country remains united.
“I can tell you no that only a stupid soldier will think of a coup d’état because this is outside their head, it is no longer in their psyche, it is no longer acceptable in Africa and in the world generally, so he is intelligent enough to know that if he stages a coup, the country will be ostracised in the world community of nations, there can be an uprising in your own country, so it’s no longer fashionable.”
He stressed that for a leader to be picked; a lot needs to be considered, including his thought patter towards keeping the country united.
“The whole thing depends on the leadership selection; one of the things I would have loved to see is if you want to pick a leader, you should be able to access his thought about the country, the unity, he will not jeopardize it, try to use everything within his powers legitimately to make sure that the country remains one.
“Our selection of leadership is the most important thing; political, military and economic leadership. Once this is strong, and everybody in this sector believes in this country, I think we won’t have a problem.”
The retired Army General said that his generation and the next, have held on to the unity of the country and that is what makes them qualified to move the country towards the required objective.
“My generation is committed and they will use everything possible; apply logic, advice, talks just to make sure that the country remains united.
“You cannot convince me that this country should break; I wouldn’t talk to you for a long time because I know people died trying to keep the country one, so my generation will insist this country remains one.
“There are 200 million people in this country and there are some people in my generation and the one after mine, who will always believe in this country and those generations, will move this country towards the required objective.”
He stressed that his generation saw the unity of the country as an article of faith amongst and they don’t plan to see the country go through another civil war.
“Nobody will like to see this country disintegrated because we will be unfair to those who put their lives on the line and died for the purpose of keeping the country one. If we let it go, we will not be fair to them, thousands of people were killed, a lot was maimed, and some were permanently disabled.”
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Allowing Miyetti Allah to join Amotekun is like Recruiting Demons into an Army of Angels – Fani Kayode
- Bandits kills Man, Rapes his Daughter, abducts his wife in Delta state
- Trump please come and save us, Nigeria’s situation has gone beyond prayers – Nigerian Pastor
- 25 Repentant Boko Haram Members From Niger Republic, Arrives Nigeria (photos)
- Bleaching your skin has nothing to do with the Kingdom of God – Etinosa
- Ohanaeze blasts Buratai for planning to Recruit Youths to fight Boko Haram, says’ count Igbos out
- Drinking milk increases the risk of breast cancer in women – Study
- Anyone who thinks Buhari is in charge of his Government is fooling Himself – Pa Adebanjo
- Fulani herdsmen storms Benue state with Guns and over 4,000 Cows
- Nigerian Boy beats up his Girl friend, bites her breast