The Islamic Movement in Nigeria ( IMN) says police officers opened fire on some of its members during a nationwide Ashura procession.
Ashura is the day set aside by Shia Muslims across the world to commemorate the killing of their supposed leader, Imam Hussain bn Ali, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad.
The group’s spokesman, Abdullahi Musa, confirmed the incident, proclaiming three people have been killed in Kaduna State and many others wounded.
This development comes amid repeated warnings from security agencies that the group which was recently designated as a terrorist organisation must not proceed with the planned procession due to the Federal Government’s proscription order which makes all its activities illegal.
However, the IMN at various times announced it would defy the orders. It has sued FG for labelling it a terrorist group and for banning it but the litigation is still active in court.
Scooper also learnt that members of the group as early as 7am today converged at the Wuse market in Abuja and marched toward the popular Berger roundabout.
The protesters were said to be waving flags with arabic inscriptions and chanting anti-government songs, but hurriedly dispersed on sighting armed policemen to avoid being arrested.
It was further learnt that the protest caused gridlock in many parts of the city.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Nigerian man arrested for sexually abusing his Little Daughter and Son – Abuja (photos)
- Buhari created Boko Haram, He cannot defeat Himself – Fani Kayode
- I can’t stop saying the Truth, I fear Nobody, I have 4 Lions in Me – Fani Kayode
- Police shoots Iraqis protesting against US military Presence in Iraq, 4 dead (photos)
- Trump Defense team already winning the Impeachment Trial, Hits back on Democrats (read)