Oxford English Dictionary said it has added 29 Nigerian words and expressions in the January updates to the dictionary.
OED revealed in a blogspost posted on the dictionary’s website that the 29 Nigerian entries form part of the more than 550 new words, senses, and sub-entries added to the Oxford English Dictionary
OED’s World English editor, Danica Salazar, said: “The majority of these new additions are either borrowings from Nigerian languages, or unique Nigerian coinages that have only begun to be used in English in the second half of the twentieth century, mostly in the 1970s and 1980s.”
Next tomorrow,’ is one of the new entries into the dictionary. The expression is regarded as the oldest among the over 25 uniquely Nigerian words/expressions.
According to Salazar, ‘next tomorrow’ was first used in written English as a noun in 1953, and as an adverb in 1964.
Kannywood, which refers to the film industry in northern Nigeria, is deemed the youngest among the lot.
Others such as ‘buka,’ ‘bukateria’ and ‘severally’ also made the dictionary.
The full list of the new entries is below:
- agric, adj. & n.
- barbing salon, n.
- buka, n.
- bukateria, n.
- chop, v./6
- chop-chop, n./2
- danfo, n.
- to eat money, in eat, v.
- ember months, n.
- flag-off, n.
- to flag off in flag, v.
- gist, n./3
- gist, v./2
- guber, adj.
- Kannywood, n.
- K-leg, n.
- mama put, n.
- next tomorrow, n. & adv.
- non-indigene, adj. & n.
- okada, n.
- to put to bed, in put, v.
- qualitative, adj.
- to rub minds (together) in rub, v./1
- sef, adv.
- send-forth, n.
- severally, adv.
- tokunbo, adj.
- zone, v.
- zoning, n.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- Boko Haram attacks Adamawa state, Many feared Dead
- Indian man makes Donald Trump status, worships it as his God (video)
- Meet the Nigerian Governor who has been Governing his state from Abuja since 2019
- Abba Kyari vs Monguno: Buratai withdraws Soldiers working with National security Adviser
- Boko Haram Bill is satanic and unconstitutional, An Invitation to another Civil War – Human Rights
- Oluwo gets 6 months suspension for threatening to destroy fellow Traditional Ruler
- Boko Haram Bill is a Plot to grant amnesty to Boko Haram – Ohanaeze
- God is Punishing the North with Insurgency for killing 2 million Igbos During Biafra war – Ohanaeze Replies Sultan of sokoto
- Court Orders DSS to Probe Bayelsa Deputy Governor
- Senator Ndume Rejects Boko Haram Bill, says’ It will Encourage people to Join Boko Haram