The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Sabo Nanono, on Monday, said Nigeria was producing enough food to feed itself and send to neighboring countries.
The minister, who spoke at a press briefing to mark the 2019 World Food Day in Abuja, SAID;
“I think we are producing enough to feed ourselves. I think there is no hunger in Nigeria; there could be inconveniences. When people talk about hunger in this government, I just laugh.”
“In this country, it is fairly cheap to buy food,” he stated.
“The Federal Government decided to shut the borders owing to the excesses of neighboring countries that had made the country a dumping ground for expired rice and other goods.
“That’s the basis for the closure of the border and I think Nigeria tried to make these neighboring countries understand our predicament but to no avail. So long as these countries bordering us will not respect Nigerian stand on food importation, the borders will remain closed.” He said.
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- APC was created to fight poverty – Osinbajo
- How Fulani Herdsmen attacked me in my Farm, shot at me – Ortom, Governor of Benue
- Femi Adesina is sick for saying that Insecurity has reduced under Buhari – Fani Kayode
- Exclusive: Catholic Bishop spotted on Okada – Enugu state (photos)
- PHOTOS: 60 year old woman gets married for the first time – Anambra state