The world’s oldest Prime Minister, Mahathir of Malaysia, who has in recent months stoked diplomatic tensions by speaking out on issues concerning the Muslim world, also said the U.S. drone attack on Soleimani was against international laws.
94 year old Mahathir, said Soleimani’s killing in Baghdad could also lead to an escalation in “what is called terrorism”.
“The time is right for Muslim countries to come together,” Mahathir told reporters.
“We are no longer safe now. If anybody insults or says something that somebody doesn’t like, it is all right for that person from another country to send a drone and perhaps have a shot at me.”
About 50 people including burqa-wearing women gathered outside the Iranian embassy in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to shout “Down, Down USA”.
Mahathir has tried to maintain good relations with Iran despite U.S. sanctions on the Middle Eastern country. An estimated 10,000 Iranians live in Malaysia.
Last month, Mahathir hosted Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at a conference of Muslim leaders in Malaysia where they discussed boosting business, trading in each other’s currencies and keeping up with non-Muslim countries.
Mahathir’s recent comments on the treatment of Muslims in India and his criticism of the Saudi Arabia-based Organisation of Islamic Cooperation have soured Malaysia’s relations with both New Delhi and Riyadh.
“I speak the truth,” Mahathir said. “You do something that is not right, I think I have the right to speak out.”
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
Share your story with us: Whatsapp: 09029172905, Email: News@odinceblog.com
- Ihedioha vs Uzodimma: I declare judgment upon those who curse me for nothing – Mbaka
- Fani Kayode blasts Anthony Joshua for Prostrating for Buhari, says’ its disgusting
- Nollywood Actress, Funke Akindele refuses to attend her father’s Burial (photos)
- There will be crisis in Nigeria, if the North retains presidency in 2023 – Yoruba Elders
- FREEDOM: Hong Kong protesters beats up policemen for trying to stop their protest (video)