Connect with us

News

We Have Released 1,400 Repentant Boko Haram members

Published

on

Loading...

The Borno State Government has said about 1,400 repentant Boko Haram suspects have been released by the military and rehabilitated into society.

The Borno State Commissioner for Information, Babakura Jato, said during an interview on Monday that 1, 400 had been released in three tranches since the ‘Operation Safe Corridor’ programme began.

Jato said most of the persons released were not actually Boko Haram members but were relatives of terrorists or persons found in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also Read: Ohanaeze warns Abia police CP

The commissioner said, “There have been a series of releases. They were released in three tranches. The first set was released during Governor Shettima’s time while two sets have been released under Prof. Zulum.

“The total number of persons released is 1,400. Out of the 1,400, the majority of them are cleared, suspects. These were people who were suspected of being members of Boko Haram and it was discovered that they were not.

“The rest are children of Boko Haram or actual Boko Haram members. I cannot give you a breakdown of the figure now for security reasons.”

The government’s spokesman said he was aware of allegations that some of those released had gone back to terrorism but argued that most of these allegations were mere speculations.

He stated that if any person was rejected by his community for being a former Boko Haram member, the government would resettle that person.

DOWNLOAD ODINCE BLOG NEWS APP
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
Loading...