The National Chairman of All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, has called for economic sanctions on South Africa and complete takeover of the remaining shares by South Africans in MTN Nigeria as a way of sending a strong signal over the killing of Nigerians in the former apartheid nation.
Oshiomhole disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja at a briefing with journalists.
He also called for the stoppage of the landing right granted to South African Airways and prevent them from flying to any part of Nigeria until the issue was addressed.
He said government should ask Standard Chartered Bank and Stanbic IBTC owned by the South Africans to wind up its operations in the country to enable Nigerian banks expand their operations and maximise profits.
Oshiomhole said, “It is worthy for the Nigerian Government to take steps to take over the remaining shares of MTN that are owned by South Africans so that MTN becomes fully Nigerian.
“This is the moment to show commitment to our citizens and show sympathy to those who have lost their loved one by boycotting South African goods and businesses beginning with Nigerians refusing from today to use MTN services.
“If Nigerians decide at least for the next 30 days as first step to stop using MTN, they would have sent a clear message and pay befitting tribute to the lives of those that were wasted in very crude and barbaric manner by South Africans.”
Follow on Twitter @odinceblog
- There is too much poverty and Backwardness in the North – Emir of Kano
- Nigerian man arrested in Cambodia for disturbing his neighbors, Faces deportation (photos)
- PHOTOS: Fire guts Timber market, destroys goods and properties – Mushin, Lagos
- Before you MARRY, make sure you MONEY – Reno Omokri
- Men should Mastubet at least 21 times every month to avoid prostate cancer – World Health